• Русский
  • English
  • Беларуская

к

About the place

The place, where the tractor plant is located now, was called the Antonii's tract till 1917 or the Archbishop's grove till 1923 and it belonged to the  head of the Minsk Eparchy (Antonii Zubko, the Archbishop of Minsk and Turov). There was the village and two suburbes of Minsk called  correspondingly Budilovo,  Serebrianii Log and Dolgii Brod.

Unfortunately after a time this place became the common cemetry as for the Orthodox believers and as all other innocently killed people. And the location of the orthodox church here is the live memory about those guiltless people.

The first historical period of the Minsk Tractor Works (MTW) development had been concealed for a long time. For example, it was strange that its eastern part was called the airfields. However the history explained it...  

According to the the decree from 17 october 1940 the USSR SNK (Council of People's Commissars) aimed to build the aircraft factory number 453, which would be able to produce 3000 vehicles per year. The time  was extremly limited and it had only 365 days to construct, to install equipment and to investigate production capacity. It required incredible facilities of labour force and facilities.

The constraction was managed personally by Stalin and it  started immediately without any engineering design and cost estimation. Even though it was suggested that the prisoners, the USSR always had planty of whome, had not been involved a lot. It is evident that, the lack of diggers, stonemasons, carpenters and laborers was compensated with prisoners. As a result in the january of 1941 there were about 4000 (four thousands) people obligated to work at the construction. The workers had to work manually in thick mud under freak weather with rapidly changes.  

It is possible only to suggest about their living conditions, winter temperature in 1941 was about 30 degree below 0. According to the official information it was about 3.000 people here in the february of 1941, which logically arises the question about other 1.000 missing lives.  Even though the three dugouts were constructed in the janruay (1941) and they  were settled in by the 210 women-workers, the living conditions of other people are concealed. 

The prolongated winter, when the temperature was minus 14 degrees in April and the earth was occupied with winter cold, only complicated the task to stay alive for 8.400 people, who were the prisoners and obligotory "volunteers" from collective farms.  Soon the decision to  preschedulely comiss the factory, as a result the number of involved people achived more than 10.500 and the work day was about 8 hours (21 june 1941).

But... The war started the new cemetry here. Though Hitlerites decided to use this area to repair their aircrafts, with time the place changed into two consantration camps for civilians and prisoners of the war, the Jews were settled in a pigsty. It was only the single death road for all of them. It was the road surrounded with barbed wire, watch-towers, dogs, machine-guns and, finally, shooting. Jewry were the first, who stepped to this road.     

 The Hitlerites received the severe feedback in July 1944. The buttle  went on from 8 o'clock of the evening (the 6-th of July) till the 10 o'clock of the morning (the 7-th of July). 

After the war the excruciating torment continuied in the plant construction. According to the cool statistics the civil and war prisoners constituted 31.3%  and 29.9 % correspondingly. The consruction was the huge field surrounded with the barbed wire...

Production Association Minsk Tractor Works started its work 29 May, 1946.